During pregnancy, it can be tricky to get comfortable…especially during third trimester! But we have some tips to not only help with comfort, but also to help keep you and your baby safe.
“Many women don’t realize that there are rules to follow for sleeping during pregnancy,” says Dr. Rana Khalek. “We want our patients to sleep well during their pregnancies but also to be mindful of the health of their babies.”
Here are some tips to help you sleep more soundly – and with peace of mind:
- In the third trimester, sleep on your left side to allow the best blood flow to the fetus, your uterus and kidneys. Avoid lying flat on your back for long periods of time.
- Drink lots of fluids during the day, but cut down before bedtime.
- To prevent heartburn, stay away from spicy, acidic foots (such as tomato products) and fried foods. If heartburn is still a problem, sleep with your head elevated on pillows.
- Exercise regularly to improve circulation and cut down on leg cramps.
- Special “pregnancy” pillows may help you get more comfortable.
- Napping may help! A recent poll found that 51% of pregnant women reported napping once a day and 60% once a week.
- Learn to relax with breathing techniques – a warm shower before bed can be helpful too.
- Talk to your doctor if you develop medical problems and/or insomnia persists.
Have more questions about our practice or about pregnancy? Click here. Not pregnant but would like to contact our office for more information or to make an appointment? Click here. We would love to hear from you – Affinity Physicians for Women is all about our patients and do all we can to make their lives more enjoyable on every level.