Menopause usually begins for women in their late 40s or early 50s – it can last a few years and have some pretty uncomfortable symptoms, so Affinity Physicians for Women would like to offer some natural ways to reduce some of this discomfort.
“As women reach the menopausal stage in their lives, they will start to experience symptoms that can make daily life difficult,” states Dr. Bishara Baddour. “There are certainly ways, though, to reduce these symptoms and improve quality of life during this time.”
Symptoms can include hot flashes, night sweats, mood swings, irritability and tiredness. In addition, menopausal women can be at higher risk of osteoporosis, obesity, heart disease and diabetes.
Here are 11 natural ways we recommend to reduce the symptoms of menopause:
- Eat foods rich in Calcium and Vitamin D – this is good for bone health and can prevent bone loss during menopause.
- Achieve and maintain a healthy weight. This will help alleviate menopause symptoms and prevent disease.
- Eat lots of fruits and vegetables! A healthy diet can help with unwanted weight gain and to prevent certain diseases.
- Avoid trigger foods like caffeine, alcohol and sugary or spicy foods – especially near bedtime. These can trigger hot flashes, night sweats and mood swings.
- Exercise regularly. Regular exercise helps alleviate poor sleep, anxiety, low mood and fatigue. It also helps with weight maintenance.
- Eat more foods high in Phytoestrogens. Phytoestrogens are naturally occurring plant compounds that can mimic the effect of estrogen in the body helping balance hormones. Some of these foods include: soybeans and soy products, tofu, tempeh, flaxseeds, linseeds, sesame seeds and beans. These can help reduce cholesterol and reduce the severity of night sweats.
- Drink enough water. Drinking 8-12 glasses of water a day can prevent weight gain and reduce bloating.
- Reduce refined sugar and processed foods. Diets high in refined carbs and processed foods are associated with depression and poor bone health.
- Don’t skip meals. Irregular eating may cause symptoms of menopause to worsen and hinder weight loss.
- Eat protein-rich foods. This prevents the loss of lean muscle, aids in weight loss and helps regulate sleep.
- Take natural supplements. Our doctors would love to speak to you about which ones would be right for your symptoms.
Have more questions about our practice or about menopause? Click here. Are you pregnant and would like to contact our office for more information or to make an appointment? Click here. We would love to hear from you – Affinity Physicians for Women is all about our patients and do all we can to make their lives more enjoyable on every level.